måndag 27 september 2010

Nick Cave's 30 Greatest Hits (Part 2)



Cabin Fever!
I really love the song structure and vocal approach in this track, also the agitated beat. And the part of the song where Blixas fucked-up guitar is panned out left and right.

From Her To Eternity
This song might be the best title track of all Nick's albums after the Birthday Party years. The piano melody on this track really gets its hooks into you.

Saint Huck
I always considered this to be my favorite track on From Her To Eternity, but I'm not sure if it really is. No matter what, this is grim and evil. The repetetive bass line (reversed for the song Tupelo, more or less), the clanking and skronky guitars, the malice in Nick's voice.

Wings Off Flies
I love the slide guitar in this song, and what sounds like stomping.
And who can shrug off the end of the wonderful refrain where Nick's voice goes up.



Tupelo
The repetetive music, the "simplicity", Nick and the band succeeds with creating something terrifying with so small means. Just the beginning of the song, with the sharp beats, the bass and, again, the vocals.



The Carny
Everything about this track is amazing. The music is very dark, ominous, like lurking (always loved that word) evil. The words describing the songs atmosphere are more or less the same, very ominous, dark. The use of that busted inner of a piano really takes this song to a personal favorite music-wise. And one mustn't forget Nick's dark lyrics. The carnival vibe in the music might also be a reason for this one being a personal favorite, I love dark carnival music.



The Mercy Seat
So messy, so raw, so catchy and just plain gold.
Also greatly covered by the late Johnny Cash.



The Weeping Song
I love this duet with Blixa, might be an ugly ass video, but the song, the clapping, Blixas depth in his voice.

The Ship Song
I have a very special relationship with this song. This is mine and my wife's song, it became our song somewhere back in the days when we got together, and has been our song since then. We had our first dance as a married couple to this song on our wedding. So, of course, it needs to be on this list.



Papa Won't Leave You, Henry
"I passed beside the mission house
Where that mad old buzzard, the reverend,
Shrieked and flapped about life after your dead
Well, I thought about my friend, Michel
How they rolled him in linoleum
And shot him in the neck
A bloody halo, like a think-bubble
Circling his head"

"Well, the moon it looked exhausted
Like something you should pity
Spent an age-spotted
Above the sizzling wires of the city
Well, it reminded me of her face
Her bleached and hungry eyes
Her hair was like a curtain
Falling open with the laughter
And closing with the lies"

"I awoke so drunk and full of rage
That I could hardly speak
A fag in a whale-bone corset
Draping his dick across my cheek"



Do You Love Me?
Darkly romantic, but with harsh and provocative imaging. Love and blood, good and evil. The dark drive of the bass and piano in the song is really great.

Red Right Hand
Another one of those inexplainable favorites, is the use of bells, the bass, the guitars, the lyrics, the vocals? Or is it all of those aspects of the song? I do not know, but I really love this track.



Stagger Lee
I really love the beat in this one, as well as the lyrics. But I think that goes for almost all the tracks on Murder Ballads, Nick really aces his storytelling.

O'Malley's Bar
I think that the lyrics to this song really is what does it for me. The music isn't that big of a deal, not compared to a lot of other songs. But the monotone song structure, combined with Nick's story eally ends up with great results in my book.



God Is In The House
One of the most subtle and quiet songs on my list. This song is so great due to the dark sense of humour in the lyrics, with the all-american small town paranoia, prejudice and narrow mindedness.



No Pussy Blues
I was amazed when Grinderman appeared. I was amazed that he had so much fuck you-attitude left in him, it was so raw and so anti-Bad Seeds, so in your face and so fucking rock'n'roll. This track still remains my favorite Grinderman track, not conquered by any other on the album or by any of the songs on the newly release follow-up.

So there you have it. My 30 favorite Nick Cave songs, reasons for the choices and a good place to start listening if you haven't heard that much of him earlier and you find my blog illuminating regarding new music in your life.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar