onsdag 19 maj 2010

Eels - [2010] End Times



I've been listening to Eels off and on for a couple of years now. Recently been pushed more into listening to them since a friend of mine discovered them a couple of months ago.
My first contact with the band was with the album Daisies of the Galaxy, and the songs Grace Kelly Blues, I Like Birds, It's a Motherfucker and so on. After getting hooked on that album, I expanded my Eels library and really found my Eels in songs like Dogfaced Boy, World of Shit, Restraining Order Blues, Cancer for the Cure and of course Novocaine for the Soul and Beautiful Freak.
But somewhere I lost contact with Mr. E and the others and Beautiful Freak was just standing on the shelf.
Up until my friend discovered them a while back, just previous to their release of Hombre Lobos. The first track I heard from Hombre Lobos was Prizefighter and from the moment I saw the bearded E in the promo video, I knew that this was going to be a happy reunion. It's was as if no time had passed, we got right back into our old roles, me as a listener and the Eels telling me stories of hurt, fresh blood and mental illness.
Before the actual release of the album, I read an interview with Mr. E in a magazine and especially the part of bringing more howling screams into the music and doing a real rock song, the track Fresh Blood.
I was waiting for that promo video to come up and it was amazing to see the man stumble around with a cane, howling like a wolf.
And when the album finally got out, it was really great.
Not long after the release of Hombre Lobos, Eels announced the release of the next album, End Times. But unfortunately, we had lost contact again. I was diggin' deep into the No Wave-scene and needed the skronk, the atonal, disharmonic, the madness, so up until today, I still hadn't heard more than the first song of End Times.
This album is more in the vein of the more honest and less rock-ish albums Electro-Shock Blues and Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. But not quite as unbearably dark.
You have the more up-tempo songs like Gone Man, Mansions of Loz Feliz, Paradise Blues and Unhinged. But most of the songs are the quieter, more subtle and sincere E.
It's an amazing album, but it's likely that I'll spin Hombre Lobos more often than this.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar